Root Canal Treatment in a Comfortable Setting
Sometimes, persistent tooth pain is a sign that you need a root canal. If your dentist decides this is the right solution for you, you may be referred to an endodontist, a dentist who focuses on salvaging teeth using procedures involving the pulp (nerve) and root of teeth. The most common procedure that an endodontist performs is a root canal.
Do I Need a Root Canal?
If you think you may benefit from getting a root canal procedure, you should start with a trip to your dentist. Here are some common signs that you need a root canal:
- Discoloration of the tooth
- Tenderness or swelling in the gums close to a pesky tooth
- Teeth sensitivity to hot and cold
- Severe tooth pain (especially when eating or applying pressure to the area)
Getting a Root Canal
Many patients feel nervous for their root canal procedure, but root canals actually reduce pain, not cause it. Most patients report that during a root canal, they experience the same amount of pain as they would during a cavity filling. Either a dentist or endodonist will complete the procedure, based on the severity of the case.
Below, please find an outline of the steps a root canal procedure generally follows:
- The dental professional performs x-rays to assess the damage to the tooth.
- You will receive a local anesthetic to numb the area and prevent pain during the procedure.
- The dentist opens the crown of the tooth and, using tools, clears out decayed pulp.
- Depending on the specific case at hand, the dentist will decide to leave the tooth open to drain prior to filling and sealing, or put a temporary filling in the tooth.
Schedule an Appointment with an Endodontist
Our unique staff boasts a complete outfit of dental specialists in one location. We house a certified endodontist who works closely with dentists to ensure each patient receives individualized treatment. If you’re ready to schedule an appointment for a Colorado Springs root canal, call our office at 719-387-4385 or fill out an appointment request form.